Herbicide Resistance through Engineered Mutation: Which Bean is a Mutant?
- Does a mutation for herbicide resistance help, harm, or have no effect on bean plants?
- Which bean variety carries the EPSPS gene for glyphosate resistance?
- Explain that Genetically Modified Organism (GMO) technology alters the genetic material of organisms.
- Describe the basic concepts for producing glyphosate resistant GMOs.
- Develop a hypothesis and test plants for glyphosate resistance.
Related NE Science Standards:
Life Science – Heredity SC12.3.2 Students will describe the molecular basis of reproduction and heredity −− SC12.3.2.cRecognize how mutations could help, harm, or have no effect on individual organism
Anticipated Length: Various - see PDF for details
Mutataion and Herbicide Resistance Lab (pdf)